Mahadevar Temple : Mahadevar Temple Details | Mahadevar- Thiruvairanikulam | Tamilnadu Temple | மகாதேவர்
Advanced Search >>



Home >> sivan > sri Mahadevar temple
  • Details
  • Path
  • Map
  • Photos
  • Near By Temple
  தமிழில் படிக்க »
Sri Mahadevar temple
Moolavar: Mahadevar
  Urchavar: -
  Amman / Thayar: Parvathi
  Thala Virutcham: -
  Theertham: -
  Agamam / Pooja : -
  Old year: 1000-2000 years old
  Historical Name: -
  City: Thiruvairanikulam
  District: Ernakulam
  State: Kerala
  13 day Vaikom Ashtami is celebrated in the temple following the Karthikai (November-December) Ashtami being the eighth day of full moon or new moon day. Ashtami in Masi (February-March) also is important. Also all Shiva related festivals are grandly celebrated. Though there is no shrine for Ambica in the temple, Devi worship is followed for 12 days once in 12 years.  
 Temple's Speciality:
  According to Sthala Purana (history of the land) Lord Shiva Himself directly did poor feeding on the Vaikom Ashtami day to ensure the victory of Lord Muruga to destroy the demons Surapanma and Tharakasura. Hence, feeding is devotionally observed in the temple by devotees so that they reap all the mercy of the Lord. It is also believed that Lord Shiva and Mother Parvathi participate in the event. This feeding ritual is called Pirathal.  
Opening Time:
  The temple is open from 4.30 am to 11 am and 5.00pm to 7.30 pm.  
  Sri Mahadevar Temple, Tiruvairanikulam, Vellarapilli South Post-683 580, Via. Sri Moola Nagaram, Aaluva Taluk, Ernakulam district, Kerala.  
  +91 484-260 0182; 260 1182 
 General Information:

Devotees seeking removal of obstacles in wedding matters and for child boon pray in Ambica shrine during the 12 days as mentioned above.  Couples separated from each other pray for reunion.

Thanks giving:
  Devotees offer Sari (Vastra) and perform abishek to the mother on realizing their prayers. 
 Greatness Of Temple:
  Temple History:

Three Namboodri families were residing around the temple in days of yore known as Vediyur, Agavur and Venmani.  Lord Mahadeva temple belonged to these three Namboodri families.  Agavur family also had the title ‘Chieftains’.  A wise gentleman Sathan by name was assisting this family.  He was helping the Agavur family to cross the river in a stone boat to visit the Mahadeva temple.


Even now, we can see many Keralites, women in particular using an umbrella made of palm leaves.


A Thambiran from the Agavur family, old in age, expressed his difficulty to Lord to visit the temple which he could not miss as he would consume even water only after the Lord’s darshan.  One day, after the darshan, when he lifted his umbrella, he found it to be heavy.  When he informed this to his advisor Sathan, he simply said OK.  He relaxed on the way before reaching the house leaving the umbrella by his side.  When he lifted then to proceed home, he felt it was just light in weight.  When informed, his Sathan simply said again OK.


After a few days, a farm maid sharpened her sickle on a stone where Agavur Thambiran put his umbrella then.  While sharpening the sickle, the stone began to bleed.  The farm maid fell fainted.  The matter was informed to Thambiran and his advisor Sathan.


Sathan explained that Lord Mahadeva had graced him to make His darshan easy with His Swayambu appearance.  It is here where Thambiran put his umbrella.  Thambiran installed the Shivalinga and Mother Parvathi here.

Special Features:
  Miracle Based: Mother Shrine in the temple is open for devotees for 12 days for Masi Mahashivrathri in February-March and Margazhi Tiruvadhirai in December-January.
  Dinamalar Home Page   Temple Home Page
Copyright © 2023 All rights reserved.